Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Infected by guillain barre syndrome, paralysis in hands and legs. Is this curable?

Nov 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 5546 Questions

A known person to me (a 21 yr old girl) is infected by Guillain-Barre syndrome. Because of this disease she has got both her leg and hands paralyzed. She is currently being treated in a Hospital in Madurai. As per the doctors, the treatment will be very expensive (upto Rs. 30 Lakh). I would like to know some specific details regarding this.

- Are there any speciality hospitals in bigger cities to treat this disease ? From the specialists view point, do you suggest any particular hospital ?
- Since she comes from a poor family background, its very difficult for them to afford this treatment. Are there any trust / charitable hospitals, which treate this disease at lower cost?
- OR is there any possibility to get financial assistance from NGOs for the treatement ?

Relevant information in this regard would be very helpful.

Posted Tue, 12 Feb 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 23 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

Guillain-Barre syndrome (GBS) is a very severe disease of peripheral nerves, which leads to paralysis of both legs and arms, and even breathing muscles get paralysed in severe cases.

Good thing is that it is treatable with medications such as immunoglobulins (IVIG). The dose of IVIG depends on the body weight. For an adult with weight 60 kg, about 120 gms would be required. The MRP of this would be about 5 lakhs; however, if you purchase it directly from the company, the cost may come down to 2.5-3 lakhs.

In addition, the patient may require ICU care and ventilator, which may be 10-20 thousand per day.

So, the total expenses would be about 5 lakhs at the most. In Tamilnadu, CMC Vellore is a good hospital for treating this illness. Prof XXXXXXX XXXXXXX is an expert there. In addition, they may also offer financial assistance.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor