Infant suffering from severe diarrhea and rashes. Suggest effective medicine

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Wed, 16 Jan 2013 in Child Health
Question: Hello Doctor,

My 9 month baby is suffering from severe diarrhoea ( loose stools for 12-15 times a day) and has severe rashes for 4 days now. 3 days ago he was prescribed the medicines listed below:

1. OFM Suspension - 5ml x 2 times a day
2. Vizylac - 5ml x 2 times a day
3. Lox Jelly (2%) + Betnovate-GM - 4/5 times a day
4. Rashfree at all other times.

There hasn't been much improvement after these medicines. The rash reduced but hasn't healed. One of the ointments in Lox Jelly (2%) or Betnovate-GM makes him scream of pain - I don't know which one. He does not scream on applying Rashfree.

I got a second opinion today and was told that the rash is fungal and its a bacterial infection. The doc also requested a stool test.The medicines prescribed are as below:

1. Tab Norflox - 1/2 Tab x 2 times daily for 5 days
2. Syrup Cyclopam - 2.5 ml x 3 times daily for 5 days
3. Tab Zocon DT - 1 tab for 4 days
4. Sofradex-F Cream x 3 times 5 days followed after 1 hour by
5. Calosoft Lotion x 3 times 5 days
6. Crocin Suspension - 5 ml x 3 times if needed.

I have started using Sofradex and baby has very little pain while applying it.

The report of the stool test is as below:
General:
Colour: Greenish
Consistency: Mucoid
Odour: Foul
Mucus: Large
Occult Blood: Positive (Trace)

Microscopic:
Pus Cells: 4 to 5 /hpf
RBC: 1 to 2 /hpf
Epithelial Cells: Absent
Vegetable Fibres: Occasional
Ova of Parasites: Absent
Fat: Absent
Starch: Absent
Yeast: Absent
Protozoa: Absent

I'm not sure if I should fully switch to the second prescription. It has an antibiotic (Norflox) hence I'm looking for another opinion. I'll really appreciate your help on this.

Thanks,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for the query

Your baby is suffering from dysentery not diarrhea as stool examination is showing presence of mucus and blood. In this age group diarrhea (viral origin) is more common than dysentery (bacterial origin).

In few patients Betnovate GM may cause skin irritation. That is why your physician has prescribed Lox gel(a local anesthetic) to counteract this effect.

There is not much difference between the two prescriptions. Both have prescribed oral antibiotic of same group and ointment containing antifungal and steroid. Your second physician has given oral antifungal(Zocon), which is usually not indicated short term skin infection and calamine lotion to soothen the skin, while your first physician has given you antiprotozoal (metronidazole) and probiotic(vizylac) which I think is needed in this case.
As it is dysentry antibiotic is needed.
So I would suggest you to continue the Ofloxacin and metronidazole syrup (OFM) for 3 more days, probiotic (Enterogermina or Econorm) for 3 days, Zinc syrup( it helps in early recovery from intesinal infection) for 14 days, Ointment Sofra F along with Calasoft lotion.
You can also give cyclopam as there may be some spasm because of increased motility.
Beside this decrease the milk intake as there is transient intolerance to lactose in most of the cases. Give him ORS frequently (50 ml each time after loose stool). Continue feeding as before illness.

I hope this answers your query well.
If you have any further query, I will be very happy to answer.
Wishing him early recovery.
With regards