Infant suffering from loose motion and stomach ache. Stool test done. Any suggestion?

Dr. Ketan Vagholkar

Gastroenterologist, Surgical

Posted on Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: hi dr..my 53days old son is suffering from loose motion for a month.v did stool routine & culture.routine test occult blood is positive,ph-4.0 [acedic],consistancy loose,rbc 1-3/hpf,reducing substance sugar[1.5%] pus cells 2-4,ova syst not found.in culture not isolated.he is having stomach pain evry time mainly taking breast feed.always crying too.I am giving colic aid drops 5drops thrice a day,rash free cream applying his anus part.i started this medicine yesterday.I am giving him only breast milk.please tell me your suggestions.
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 9 minutes later
There are 2 possibilities which can explain the losse motions.
1. breach in the hygiene while feeding.
2. inherent weakness of the digestive system or over feeding.
The reports are not suggestive of any serious infection.
I would suggest the following
1. oral rehydration system to be followed.
2. strict asceptic precautions while feeding
3. breast feeding as per the demands of the infant.
If these measures do not work then abinding compound may be considered.
I hope this answers your querry.
With regards
Follow up: Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 6 hours later
Thank you very much for the reply.In his scan report everything is normal.No evidence in the report. His birth weight was 3.160 and he is 5.225 yesterday.Hope this is good weight for 53 days old baby.I am feeding him 2 to 2 and a half hours time gap.Is that ok?he is not having dehydration.urinating more than 15 times a day.In his tongue can see white color,is that any fungus?can you explain me oral rehydration and asceptic precautions?Is colic aid will work out my son's diarrhea?can you suggest any other medicines?Is Z&D drops will cure my baby's diarrhea?if yes please let me know the dosage for 53 days old infant.In stool routine report occult blood is positive and reducing substance sugar is showing,can you explain me?what is occult blood?waiting for your reply.
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 19 hours later
Thanks for the feedback.
It is good to hear that everything is normal. His birthweight was also normal which suggests normal growth and devekopment of the GI tract.
Oral rehydration in his case would just mean plenty of water off and on ensuring good urine output.
For digestion enhancement you can give gripe water. Enzyme supplements may be required.
Aseptic precautions include cleaning the mouth and fingers periodically. ensuring that he does not touch the ground. Not giving any external food articles orally especially by maids.
The only cause for the loose motions could be lactose intolerance which quite a few kids suffer from. This can even at times cause irritation and bleeding. For this you will have to consult a pediatrician and carry out specific tests. White tongue represents mal digestion of feeds.
I hope this answers your querry.
With regards