Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
137 Doctors are Online

Infant suffering from loose motion. On medication. Suggest some effective cure

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Practicing since : 1970
Answered : 891 Questions
My 16 months old son, wt 13.4 kg is suffering from loose motion (watery XXXXXXX in colour with mucus and some small small curd substance). It all started with cough and vomiting on 18 morning. We gave him t minic and tixylix cough syrup 3 dose of 5 ml on 19th. his condition improve and he vomited again on 20th twice after each meal. He also had warm body at times. Evening he started passing watery stools. We took him to one pediatrician in KIMS. He prescribed some medicines ENTEROGEMINA 5 ML twice a day, taxim-o 6.5 ml twice a day, calpol 4ml every 6 hours, some ORS XXXXXXX Emeset 5 ml twice a day before meals. We gave hime 1st dose on 20th evening but whole night he was suffering from fever and loose motion. 21st his condition became worst he passed around 10-15 watery XXXXXXX stool in a span of 20 mins and vomitted once. we gave him 2nd dose of medicine, his fever and loose motion stopped from 11 am till 5 pm but then again he started loose motion till now. What should i do. I have given him milk, dal water, tender coconut, ors water, some chichdi. but his condition is very bad. how much time it will take him to get stable. his bums have become red and he is not allowing us to wash it, everytime we wash him he cries.
Posted Sun, 11 Nov 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 46 minutes later
I can very well understand your problem !
Your child had cold, fever,vomiting and loose motions -a typical picture of viral infection.Do not worry!He will improve soon.
Regarding diet what you are giving is correct.
Give ORS 1-2 ozs after every loose stool.
Check whether he is passing urine.
This will take care of his hydration which is the most important part of treatment.
In food ,coconut water is very good along with ORS.
you can also give curd,soft mashed rice,idly and boiled XXXXXXX
,This diarrhea will take some time to stop about 5-6 days.
If the child is playing,active,passing urine well,you need not
Only if there is vomiting and inability to take ORS,the child has to be admitted and given intravenous fluids.
Regarding the reddish colour around the anus,it is because of repeated cleaning and also effect of acid stools.
Please use genle wipes or cotton wipes to sponge and clean!
You can also put some vaseline or baby oil on that area.
Hope this explains your doubts.
Good luck
All the best
Dr Uma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Infant suffering from loose motion. On medication. Suggest some effective cure 20 hours later
hi there,
1. Thanx for replying.
2. My doc said not to give yogurt since he is already giving bacteria ENTEROGEMINA. Can i still give him curd and rice.
3. he is urinating but how long will it take to control loose motion.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 5 hours later

Thanks again for writing back.

Yogurt can be given as food along with entergermina - no problem with that. I am sure you have given the child yogurt earlier when he was well!

Generally viral diarrhea takes a week to 10 days for complete recovery.

Passing urine and playing actively are good signs that child is not dehydrated. However child tends to lose weight after an episode like this. So do not worry. He should and will recover.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have more queries.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.

Good luck and all the best

Dr Uma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor