Infant suffering from eczema. Prescribed eumosone and diprovate. Are these steroids?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Fri, 25 Jan 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Doctor my 9 months old son is suffering from eczema since last one month. Today we also consulted a doctor who prescribed eumosone for face and body and and diprovate for skull. Are these both medicines steroids. Are these safe to give to 9 month old kid.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 49 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

These both medicines are steroid cream used for local application in Eczema.These can be applied to a 9 month old kid but the dose and duration should be limited and it should be given under supervision of treating doctor.

Hope this information helps you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...
Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.

Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 7 hours later
Thanks doctor. Would like to know how much time it takes for complete treatment of ezcema and does it repeat in the future also. Can we have allopathy and homeopathy treatement simultaneously.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 7 hours later

Unfortunately, there are no cures for eczema. Fortunately, in most children eczema becomes less severe with time. The good news is eczema can be controlled.There is no known way to prevent eczema, but good skin care with a daily bath and use of a moisturizer twice daily can help strengthen the skin against all kinds of irritants. Get to know your child’s triggers and avoid them as much as possible.

There is no harm in giving both allopathy and homeopathy treatment simultaneously.

Hope this information helps you. Please close the query if you have no other questions.

Wishing you good health...
Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.

Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 16 minutes later
Thanks doctor. What can be the triggers for ezcema and how can they be identified. Do we also need to take care of his diet and any particular thing that should be avoided. Do u also suggest any precaution in terms of soap or shampoo or detergent to be used for his clothes.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX

Specific triggers can vary based on the child and can include pets, carpet, dust mites, fabrics (such as wool), cigarette smoke, and scented products (such as perfume, laundry detergent and air freshener).

Most eczema is unrelated to diet. In fact, parents who remove food from their child’s diet in an effort to clear up the skin can be causing more harm than good. If your child’s eczema greatly improves with gentle skin care and topical medications , it is unlikely that there is a “hidden” food allergy in play.

Daily bathing is recommended for infants and children with eczema. Baths are generally preferred over showers. Baths should be warm, not hot, and they should be short in duration, lasting about 10 minutes. The use of soap should be limited. Avoid the use of scrubbers and rough washcloths. Immediately after bathing, a moisturizer should be applied to the skin.

Hope this information helps you.If you have any questions I will be happy to answer.

Wishing good health to your baby...
Warm regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.