Infant suffering from constipation. Not cured by livoluk kid drops. Effective medicine?

Dr. Kaushik K Murthy

Pediatrician

Posted on Sat, 29 Dec 2012 in Child Health
Question: I have a 10 weeks old baby girl. I observed that she is suffering from constipation. she cries a lot when she is doing her bowel movement.The pediatrician suggested LIVOLUK kid drops but it is not helping her.Please suggest some medicine.
Answered by Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 37 minutes later

Firstly, I have to know how often the child passes stools.

For a 10 week old infant if the baby passes stools once in 4 to 5 days, there is no harm. Or if she passes 3 to 4 times in a single day also there is no problem too. Most children pass stools after some effort in the form of crying or applying pressure on the abdominal muscles in the form of twisting its own body for a few seconds - I suppose you have noticed your child doing this. If yes, this is not constipation, its normal physiology.

If the child has not passed stools even after a period of 6 to 7 days, then it can be labelled as constipation.

As of now, if the current medication is not reducing the discomfort, you may need an alternative medicine. In this situation I suggest you to consult with your pediatrician and try pediatric dulcolax suppository. The dose and the route of administration will be best advised by your pediatrician. That should relieve her symptoms for now.

I hope this answers your query. Do follow up if there are other concerns.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad