Infant started taking Naan. Got stinky stools. What could be the reason?

Dr. Kaushik K Murthy

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Child Health
Question: My son is close to four months old. Since I work, we started formula feed Nan Pro 1 for him since a month. We have noticed him passing highly stinky XXXXXXX stools since last 3weeks. Does that indicate some infection or is it just normal? We are taking utmost care with respect to sterilization of bottles and the water used.

Additional Questions:
- He feeds approximately 6-7 times in a day, quantity being 100-120ml. Is this good enough for a baby of his age? Wght- 6.5Kg.
- When is the good time to start with solid foods for him? And what are they?

Also, Is my son's feed quantity : 60-120ml per feed good enough? How much milk does a normal baby require in a day?
Answered by Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for writing to us.

1.The stool color being XXXXXXX every time needs a stool examination-STOOL ROUTINE & STOOL FOR REDUCING SUBSTANCES, to rule out any kind of infection and to find out the cause. Will review about this particular matter when you come back with the results of the stool test.

2. The feeding quantity is good enough as the weight of 6.5 kilos for a male neonate of 4 months old is good. Another indication that he is getting enough milk is dependable on his urine out put- more urine out put means the child is getting enough feeds.

3. Good time to start with weaning-semisolid foods is at between 5 to 6 months of age--
the foods which you can start are
- home made mixture of multigrain powder mix .
- cooked and smashed rice along with small amount of ghee and rasam with salt for taste.
- boiled and smashed XXXXXXX or potato
- smashed banana.
- smashed papaya
- kichri
- rava kanji etc.

Start the foods slowly, do not feed with over enthusiasm.

Kindly review with the stool reports.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan