Infant skin color started getting dark day by day. How to stop this?

Dr. Balaji Chinnasami

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: my 11 months old baby becoming dark day by day, he was very fair till his 3rd month, we use to give him scrub with sunnipindi( channa dal etc mixed powder) and use to expose him to benzoin after bath till his 6th month, but now we stopped all those and using only johnsons products, can i help him to get his original complex
Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 24 minutes later

Thanks for your query to XXXXXXX

It is natural for babies to be fairer initially due to soft & thin skin), but as they grow they acquire their original complexion.

Skin colour is mainly familial. Baby can take the colour of either parents or mixture of both or sometimes even grandparents.

Sunlight is known to cause tanning (skin darkening), so avoid excessive sun exposure. At the same time try not to use too many products on baby skin. Stick to basics like a shampoo, soap & baby lotion.

However if all your family members are fair & your baby alone is getting darker, then it needs to be evaluated.

Hope the information was helpful, if you have any further queries, I’m happy to assist, if no kindly close the query & rate it.
Take care,

Dr. Balaji Chinnasami, MD
Assistant Professor-Pediatrics

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T