Infant passing stool frequently. Is this normal?

Dr. Kaushik K Murthy

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 25 Jan 2013 in Child Health
Question: hi Doctor
My son is 1 1/2 yrs he is eating well but he is passing stool 4-5 times a day which is normal colour ( greenish brown) and normal consistency. My wife has stopped beast feeding him about a week ago.
Is it normal for him to poop so many times a day ?
Answered by Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for writing to us.

I Went through your query and the symptoms.

I wouldn't call greenish stools as normal.

Get a stool examination - a STOOL ROUTINE done to rule out infection.

Meanwhile, watch for watery diarrhea, blood in stools, frothy stools. If the stools are very watery, the child may become dehydrated.

If the situation sets in, kindly get a pediatrician to examine him for better results.

Do revert with the lab reports, hope I have answered your query.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 4 hours later
Hi Doc
I got a stool sample test done and it was all normal, except for few undigested food particles. A correction to my earlier question his stool was dark brown, . Could it be that he is passing 4-5 stools a day because he in the last few days switched over from breast milk to full cream milk. His appetite is good and he is happy and playing normally.
Answered by Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 8 hours later
Hi ,
Thanks for the follow up.
It is good to know that your child is active and normal. The stool test being normal, is quite reassuring.

Yes, its possible that the switch to the cows milk might be causing the trouble due to cows milk intolerance / increased gastrocolic reflex.

For the time being, to prevent the condition from worsening, stop cows milk and start with lactogen 3.

Do practice clean habits while feeding the child. Gradually switch over to cows milk over the next week, avoid full cream milk. Its only a transient phenomenon which will settle in time.

If the condition persists beyond 3 days from now, get another stool tests done- STOOL ROUTINE & STOOL FOR REDUCING SUBSTANCES.

Let me know if you have more questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli