Infant on medicine for cough and runny nose. Family history of allergic asthma. Concerned

Dr. Sujoy Khan

Allergist and Immunologist

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: my 14 month old son started off with a cough 15 dec ,I thought it was a case of normal cough and cold so ignored it for close to 10 days ,this resulted in running nose and a krrrrr sound from chest and back and wheezing sound ,then went to a doc who gave him trustyl 4ml 3 times a day and monticope 2.5 ml before bed time,zyrcold 2.5 ml once a day it didnot work and so he asked me to give livolin.63mg with 1ml NS 4 times a day and budecord and livolin mixed twice aday both through nebulisation I did not give the livolin+ budecord combination but only the livolin with NS and his cold and wheezing disappeared for 3 days and now its back again and also instead of trustyl he asked me to give bruxom P 4ml thrice a day and asked me to cotinue monticope for 2 months.But he continues to eat well and sleep for atleast 2 hours in the day and sleeps from 11 pm to 5 am waking up twice in between to nurse (which is as usual) what should I do, I went to the homeo doctor who said ther is wheezing but less of phelgm I am using homeopathy from yesterday,his dad has Asthama and allergies which is under control.He is otherwise active and eating well ,no fever.A little cranky
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 11 minutes later

Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thank you for writing to us.

Your son likely has a combination of viral infection that has upset the airways with a possible tendency towards allergic asthma given the family history.
Cough syrups do not have any effect and is best avoided for prolonged periods.
A blue inhaler or asthalin (levosalbutamol) syrup will help with the airways.
Levocetirizine or chlorphenamine syrup 2.5ml will help with the nasal passage and lower the allergic nature of the cough.
You can use saline nasal drops as steroid sprays would not be recommended at this stage.

As he is eating well and otherwise active, I would not suggest giving any antibiotics for now.

I will be happy to answer any further queries if you have.
Best Wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Sujoy Khan 5 hours later
Thank You for the Answer doctor.
Now should I continue the Homeopathy
Should I continue nebulisation?
In how many days will the Wheezing go away after taking medicines generally?
Does it go away by itself?
Can Asthama be avoided ?
HE does not ahve the habit of having milk ,so what else can I give him ?
What kind of Foods can I give to reduce cold and cough and Wheezing?
What kind of foods to avoid during cold cough and wheezing ?
Can I give him boiled egg ?
Can I give him Fruits ? If yes which ones ?
Can I give dry fruits ? If yes which ones ?
Today for some reason he is not eating at all nothing from morning ,except nursing ,he ate a few pieces of Roti and little rice ( not even 1/4 of normal quantity).But he is active as ever.
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 1 hour later
Now should I continue the Homeopathy
Should I continue nebulisation?
Answer: I have no experience with Homeopathy, so cannot give any advice with that. Nebulisation should only be continued if he is still short of breath or coughing. If he is active, and respiratory rate less than 16 breaths per minute, there is no need. just give him asthalin syrup.
Answer: with asthalin and if a viral triggered wheeze, it will take 2 weeks.
Does it go away by itself?
Answer: asthalin will help, and is recommended.
Can Asthma be avoided ?
Answer: difficult to say for certain. it depends on a complex web of family history, susceptibility to viral asthma attacks, and allergies. If allergic asthma then avoiding the allergen does help.
Answer: protein milk solutions; or high protein based foods
Answer: there is nothing like that.
Can I give him boiled egg ?
Answer: yes, if he does not have a rash or wheeze with egg
Apples, bananas
not recommended, as children find it difficult
Answer: I wouldn't worry, but make sure he eats and drinks well. With viral infections, appetite goes down but give him what he likes.

Best Wishes.

Follow up: Dr. Sujoy Khan 4 hours later
Thank you for your patience and answering all my questions ,I forgot to mention a very important thing about his health history.When he was a week old,we were told he has a heart murmur ,after the 2D echo ,it was told he has a PDA,because of which he was gaining weight very poorly and had respirational distress ,continious coughs cold and fever and had reflux issues.so at 6 months(prior to which he was 5.5 for over 2 months ) ,also there was a leak.we got the PDA device closure done ,after that he got his first cold in august and them once in October but lasted for 3-4 days and went away without any medication.No fever both the times.We went for the PDA echo on 27 september and we were told he is normal like any other kid and there is nothing to worry.Could this be a cause of worry for us?Currently he is 9kgs ,Birth Weight :2.86.
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 10 hours later
That was a very important piece of history, but as the PDA is now closed and there are no other cardiac (heart) defects like valvular leaks, or stenosis then there is little to worry about.
I hope the immunisations are up to date.
His weight is quite low, and of course the 'time lost' with all the cardiac issues are partly the cause of his low weight gain.
I would strongly suggest getting a dietitician to chart out a detailed diet plan to maintain the right carbs, protein, minerals including considering supplements (protein drinks).
I hope he remains under Cardiology follow up until at least 5 years of age.

Best Wishes.