Infant on antibiotics due to reocurring UTI and getting constipated. Any effective treatment?

Dr. Samik Basu

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 8 Feb 2013 in Child Health
Question: Hi, I have a 6 month old! He has been on antibiotics due to reocurring UTI's! He has had all the tests and came back with no reflux problems. The antibiotics i felt had messed with his system as over the three months he was on them he struggled to feed! i have and still am breast feeding! to top it off over Xmas he had 2 weeks of bad XXXXXXX diarreah and not wanting to eat! I asked if we could now come off the antibiotics as I felt they were not helping! Over the three weeks he has been off them we have had 1 week wre he had a normal poo. However now he has not pooed for a week (except one small dark hard stool yesterday). Is this his system recovering from the drugs or is it something else? I have been trying him on a food solids but not a lot! Yesterday and today he has been very sleepy as well!
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 3 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX
Do not worry at all.
I hope he hadn't any fresh attack of UTI since the last attack. If that is the case, then it is good news for him .
The initial greenish stool was antibiotic induced gastric intolerance which could have been controlled
with a probiotic syrup.
Now he is complaining of constipation. This is not the result of antibiotic therapy. So do not panic. This can be dealt with easily.
1. Give him a lot fluids, fruit pulp and fruit juices.
2. If he still passes hard painful stools, give him a glycerine suppository per rectally for 2 days. This would need to be done in consultation with a physician.
Excessive sleepiness might be due to fatigue, there is no reason to get worried about it. However, if he does remain sleepy over the next few days after feeding him well, please get in touch with a physician.
But if the UTI's recur get in touch with a pediatric nephrologist.
Let me know if you have any more questions/
Hope this answers your query.
Wishing your child a speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli