Infant is not satisfied with breast feeding, What alternate food can be given?

Dr. Ram Choudhary

Posted on Fri, 28 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Question: Dear Sir/Mam,

I have a 4.5 month old daughter. From last 2-3 days the breast feeding is not being sufficient to her. It seems that she is not getting sufficient milk.

Can you please suggest me any alternative food for her as per her age. If you need any further information on her health please let me know.

Thank you in advance.
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
Mother's breast milk is the proven best till age 6 months, but some how that is insufficient in your case.
You can supplement with cow milk but continue the breast feed as well.
After a month you can start feeds- home made preparations like rice Dal khichdi, cooked rice, boiled potato with tomato all these should have added pinch of salt and sugar and fats to make it palatable. They should be alternated frequently to avoid boredom.
many commercial formulae are also available- almost all with same contents, choose according to child's age/taste if the child does not like home made preparations.
Small servings every 3-4hours is the routine for feeding children.
I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!