Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

Infant is not responding to noise. Should I be worried for hearing problem?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2347 Questions
I feel that my 15 months old child has hearing problem. Whenever we make any noise or call him from behind, he does not respond to it. What steps should we take further to get this rectified?
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 38 minutes later

Thank you for posting the query

It is good that you have recognised the hearing disability in your child in an early stage.

My suggestions to you are:

1. Go to a good ENT specialist who is specialized in cochlear implants and get your child examined. If he finds that your child is having hearing disability, he may advise you to get an otoacoustic emission test done to check whether the auditory nerves are functioning properly or not. This is further supported by another investigation known as brain stem evoked response audiometry (BERA).

2. Once the above tests are done and found that there is a hearing disability and poor nerve function, then further investigations such as MRI and High resolution CTscan of the temporal bone is done to find out any anatomical abnormalities.

3. Depending upon the results of the above investigations further line of management will be planned.

4. Do not heed to those people who say 'the child will improve later, and not to get investigations done'. This will make the child handicapped for the entire life. Act fast, consult a doctor at the earliest. The sooner you get evaluated the better the chances of hearing for your child.

Hope I have answered your queries; I will be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor