Infant is coughing but not wheezing. Should I be worried?

Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: Hi my 3 month old baby is coughing loud every 1 and half hour but she is not wheezing.is there anything to worry?Is it asthma? We have maxtra drops at home.will that help?what can be the dosage?She has cold too.
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

If your daughter is coughing and not wheezing then it is not likely to be asthma. As you mentioned that she has cold and cough then in all probability it is take a note of the following:
1. Does anyone in the family or surroundings have URTI?
2. Does anyone in the family have asthma as you have raised the doubt?
You can give 5 Maxtra drops to your child three times a day along with steam inhalation. In case there is no improvement then it is advised to show her to the doctor.

I hope I have responded to your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts of the case.

Wishing your daughter an early recovery.

RKK
Follow up: Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 17 hours later
Thanks Doctor.
We visited pediatrician today. she checked with the stethescope and said she was wheezing.she gave antibiotics and cough syrup.she said it's URTI.
To answer your questions--
1) yes,I have a history of asthma.I am her father.

My elder son who is 6 now has asthma too but only in combination with severe cold and cough exactly like me....Is it normal for a 3 month baby to get wheezing and to use antibiotics.what are the precautions that needs to be taken for prevention.how long should steam inhalation be given to the baby?

Thanks again
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later

Thank you for the update.

Seeing the strong family history it is most likely that she will be asthmatic as she grows. At this age it is extremely difficult to call it asthma.

Antibiotics are given to control infection which is very common with bronchoconstriction. If the pediatrician has confirmed wheezing then nebulization must have been started to relieve bronchoconstriction which is causing wheezing. Steam inhalation will be effective only in upper respiratory tract infection and I advise it for a few seconds.

I hope I have answered all your doubts. Please do revert back if you need further clarifications.

Wishing your child an early recovery.

RKK