Infant having tongue tie. Is there any complication?

Dr. Hema Yadav

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases

Posted on Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Dental Health
Question: Hi there I'm having trouble with my 22 month old daughter who has something this is attached from the tip of her tongue to the back of her front bottom teeth. I want to know what is it
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Your daughter has probably a tongue tie which is a band of tissue connecting the tip of tongue to the floor of mouth.
However without an examination it would be difficult to comment on it.
The medical term for it is ankyloglossia and it's usually a congenital problem ( since birth).
In order to guide you in the best way,
I would like to know the following,
1. The detailed description or picture of the tongue tie.
2. When did you notice it first ?
3. What problems are associated with it? Wether difficulty in speaking , eating ?
4 . Wether your baby has been examined by her pediatrician or undergone any tests ?
Kindly get back to me as soon as feasible,
Awaiting your response,