Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

167 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Infant having painful urination. Test showed presence of pus cells in urine. Chances of UTI?

Answered by
Dr. Kulbir Singh

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2010

Answered : 726 Questions

Posted on Tue, 15 Jan 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hi Doctor my 18 months old baby boy is crying while urination and the urine test results show puss cells count of 4-6/hpf

is this an indication of urinary tract infection?
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 2 hours later
Hello there and thanks for writing in
Presence of pus cells in the urine is indicative of Urinary track infection. You child has few pus cells in urine so need to be confirmed by other symptoms like fever, pain during maturation, frequency or urgency of urination. Urine culture examination also help you to find out the specific bacteria that is causing infection (if any) and an effective antibiotic can be selected according to the report of the culture examination.

To get rid from the problem, once the urinary track infection is confirmed by your doctor, an effective antibiotic therapy is needed. In addition increase in overall fluid intake this would dilute bacteria concentration and allow more effective flushing out of harmful bacteria.

Feel free to consult your doctor for proper antibiotic and treatment.
Write back to me if you have any further related query.

Best Wishes and have a good time
Dr. Kulbir Singh
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Kulbir Singh 15 hours later
Thank you!We have already given the urine sample for culture examination but the report will be ready by tuesday.

He seems to have severe pain during urination but there is no fever.Can u recommend any remedy for the pain untill the reports are out?
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 29 minutes later
Hello and thanks again for the writing in
To get rid from the pain;
1. Give plenty of water to your child that will flush the pathway and reduces the pain.
2. Give Syp. Ibugesic plus 1 tsf thrice a day to control the pain.
3. Urine alkaliser can be given but your have to consult your doctor for precription and proper dose.

Hope this will help you.
Best Wishes
Dr. Kulbir Singh

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Urinalysis

doctor1 MD

I had a hysterictomy on 5/13 and a bladder sling put in on 6/ lab test today shows large blood and small leuks in a urine test and they are doing a culture worried about just a infection like i had before the systerictomy but was reading about leuks and am scared.. Debbie

doctor1 MD

Hi, it is my mom s urinalysis results color: yellow pH: 6.5 protein: trace transparency: slightly turbid specific gravity: 1.010 sugar: negative microscopic examination red cells: 5-7 /hpf pus cells: 3-5 /hpf epithelial cells: few bacteria: moderate crystals amorphous: urates:rare

doctor1 MD

hi im jane my result of my urinalysis is, color-yellow, reaction-pH 5.0, protein-negative, character-cloudy,specific gravity-1.020, sugar-trace, WBC 3-5/.HPF, epithelial cells-plenty, mucus threads-moderate,RBC-0-2./HPF,bacteria-moderate,amorphous-few, is that rare or normal,i dont have fever but i feel pain in my waist.

doctor1 MD

Hi, may I answer your health queries right now ? Please type your query here... hi my mother is 62 years old, and she had a daibetic patient and also kidney patient. few days before she test her urine in urine test every thing is ok except pus cell shows numerous so kindly suggest whats a probelm

doctor1 MD

I am a 39 year male and I am urinating every 30 minutes to 1 hour. I don't have any pain or discoloration. Just concerned at how often im going I'd like to know what this could be if anything dangerous or to be concerned of.

doctor1 MD

Had a urinalysis done Friday. WBC present, mucus present, bacteria none, leucocytes 6-10. Culture was then done and came back 10,000-50,000 cfu/ml e coli . I haven t heard back from the Dr but rather saw this in my patient portal. Does this...

doctor1 MD

I am having urinary irritation and also having discharge of white color substance