Infant having painful urination. Test showed presence of pus cells in urine. Chances of UTI?

Dr. Kulbir Singh

Posted on Tue, 15 Jan 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hi Doctor my 18 months old baby boy is crying while urination and the urine test results show puss cells count of 4-6/hpf

is this an indication of urinary tract infection?
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 2 hours later
Hello there and thanks for writing in
Presence of pus cells in the urine is indicative of Urinary track infection. You child has few pus cells in urine so need to be confirmed by other symptoms like fever, pain during maturation, frequency or urgency of urination. Urine culture examination also help you to find out the specific bacteria that is causing infection (if any) and an effective antibiotic can be selected according to the report of the culture examination.

To get rid from the problem, once the urinary track infection is confirmed by your doctor, an effective antibiotic therapy is needed. In addition increase in overall fluid intake this would dilute bacteria concentration and allow more effective flushing out of harmful bacteria.

Feel free to consult your doctor for proper antibiotic and treatment.
Write back to me if you have any further related query.

Best Wishes and have a good time
Dr. Kulbir Singh
Follow up: Dr. Kulbir Singh 15 hours later
Thank you!We have already given the urine sample for culture examination but the report will be ready by tuesday.

He seems to have severe pain during urination but there is no fever.Can u recommend any remedy for the pain untill the reports are out?
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 29 minutes later
Hello and thanks again for the writing in
To get rid from the pain;
1. Give plenty of water to your child that will flush the pathway and reduces the pain.
2. Give Syp. Ibugesic plus 1 tsf thrice a day to control the pain.
3. Urine alkaliser can be given but your have to consult your doctor for precription and proper dose.

Hope this will help you.
Best Wishes
Dr. Kulbir Singh