Infant having painful small lump on neck. Will it be cured?

Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology

Posted on Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Child Health
Question: I just discovered a huge (about 7cm) size lump (hard, a bit painful, it seems) in my 11month old baby's right side neck, also a few smaller lumps in the neck, really painful, nowhere else in the body. He is fine otherwise. i will only be see a doctor tomorrow, or monday, but i can't calm down. Is there a chance that he is ok?
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX
I know how a mother feels like, when in this situation!

As you say the lump and other lumps are painful,it suggests that they are possibly of infective origin.
Is there any redness,or warmth around the lumps or does the child have fever?

The smaller swellings can be lymph nodes or abscesses.
Can't you go to an ER and show the baby at least to have an immediate treatment.
For pain ,you give tylenol every 6 hrs to give him some relief till you reach the doctor.
It is unlikely to be a major illness with this sudden onset and painful lesions.

Do not worry.

Good luck
God bless
Dr Uma

Follow up: Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 6 minutes later
Dear Dr. Uma,
thank you for your speedy reply. He has no redness, no fever, a bit of a cough, but otherwise ok. I was diagnosed with the strep throat yesteryda, and am on antibiotics, just finished 48 hours of it.

I don't know whether the lump is sudden, or I just have not noticed. I look at older pictures, and notice that the right side seems a bit larger in the past month. He was see by a ped about 6 weeks ago, because he had a high fever for 5 days with no other symptoms, and the doctor cleared him, and he was fine since then. He gets a bit of runny nose now, but not too much.

What scares me is the size of the lump. It is clearly visible, to say nothing of touching.

It is night time here, and I will probably take him either to ER or walk in tomorrow.

If you have other thoughts, I would greatly appreciate them.
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 47 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

This why I feel that the swelling is infective .

As a doctor has seen 6 weeks ago and did not find anything obvious ,it must be a new occurrence.
please go to ER when ever possible because if infective,antibiotics should be started soon.

As I said earlier big lump of this size in the side of neck can not be anything else.

Our other concerns are tuberculosis causing adenitis and malignancies like lymphomas,which do not present this way.

Don't get scared Anna! The baby will be fine.
God bless and Good luck

Dr Uma