Infant having loose motion. What is dosage of powergyl suspension?

Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 15 Jan 2013 in Child Health
Question: What is dosage of PowerGyl suspension for eight month old with loose motion 12 hours, no fever? I'm in orphanage in Kolkata. I use this med a lot but not on 8 month old.
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 25 minutes later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I pleased to answer your query.

First I would like to tell you NOT to give medications without consulting your doctor especially to an infant.
Infants are more prone for dehydration if they have loose stools and if proper fluids and electrolytes are not given.
So the first step is to assess the hydration. If the urine output is low, the baby is less active or drowsy or if the baby is having persistent vomiting, take the baby to the hospital immediately.
If none of the above are seen, give electrolyte solution in small sips. There are many brands available in the market like electrobion. Urine output should be monitored.
In a 8 month old baby, loose stools is most often due to viral infections and they are self limiting. So there is no need for any antibiotics.
All you need to do is to take care of the hydration status and get medical attention if the baby is severely dehydrated.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
Just a comment. I am a doctor from the US, a medical doctor. I couldn't find the dosage online so I tried this service. I founded an orphanage in Kolkata, Shishur Sevay. our sanitation is pretty good and we've never had an epidemic, but for the occasional loose motion PowerGyl has been very effective. This query did not answer my question and you should be more up front that specific questions like this will not be answered.
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 34 minutes later
Hello Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
I am sorry that you did not get the answer your wanted.
Powergyl contains metronidazole and norfloxacin.

As a doctor trained in the US you must be aware that FDA does not approve using norfloxacin in children. It can damage the joints in children.
So I cannot provide you with the dose of norfloxacin or powergyl (norfloxacin +metronidazole).

As far as metronidazole is concerned , the dose 30 mg/kg/day.

As a physician with degrees in Pediatrics and Gastroenterology, I can not advice antibiotics for infants with loose stools unless there is evidence of bacterial/protozoal infection by doing a stool test.

For my patient in this scenario, I would prescribe electrolyte solution (eg electrobion, pedialyte), probiotics, zinc supplements and racecadotril.

I cannot give advice on something that is not safe.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini