Infant having little congestion and cough. Suggest some effective medicine

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in Child Health
Question: Hi .. my daughter is 4 months now .. she is having little congestion and cough .. kindly advise about Maxtra ..
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 24 minutes later
Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, Maxtra contains phenylephrine. It is a decongestant. it is a very good drug. But, it should be avoided in children below 2 years of age.

If she has nasal congestion, it is better to give her saline solution as nasal drop. it is harmless.

For cough, you should visit a pediatrician for clinical examination and for prescribing amoxicilin group of antibiotics if required, and also for prescribing a cough syrup suitable for her. I am telling you because, here, i cannot give you a prescription without which you cannot buy a cough syrup from the medicine store.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later
Thank You so much Dr. XXXXXXX .. I am using saline solution for her, and temporarily it helps .. but it the chest congestion that is troubling her a lot and worrying me as well for her ..
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later

Thank you for writing back.

For chest congestion, cough do not use this maxtra or like that things. Just consult with a pediatrician for clinical examination to assess the severity and for prescribing a good antibiotic if needed and for further management accordingly.

Regards.