Infant having hard tummy, always feel hungry and bloated. What treatment is required?

Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology

Posted on Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Child Health
Question: 3 week old hard tummy always want to eat but is always bloated and throwing up and crying
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 46 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

I have few questions to ask.

Does the baby have constipation?
What milk you are giving?
Is he losing weight?

Your baby's problems are suggestive of a condition called congenital pyloric stenosis which typically starts around this age of 2 weeks and there is projectile vomiting,usually in males,and can be diagnosed by ultrasound abdomen.
If this is ruled out ,thee are many other conditions like partial obstruction,metabolic problems,etc.
Kindly show the baby to the pediatrician and get him evaluated.

God bless
Dr Uma
Follow up: Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 2 minutes later
He's not constipated he's pooping every five minutes. He's premature but he's gaining weight - he's getting gerber good start soy.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 12 minutes later

Good, that means obstructions are unlikely!

Now the possibilities are

1. Electrolyte disturbances like low potassium
2. Milk intolerance--- anyway he is on soy milk
3 If the stools are loose and watery a condition called chloride diarrhoea
4-feeding technique problems-swallowing lot of air..- keep the bottle slightly tilted up in 60 degree to avoid air being sucked in.

Anyway what is your pediatrician's opinion after examining the baby?

Good luck
Dr Uma
Follow up: Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 8 minutes later
It's 11pm here we haven't taken him to a pediatrician here in Florida. His stools are wet and liquid. He barely burps - he just cries alot and his stomach looks really big and when you gently press on it, it's hard.

What does eletrolyte disturbance mean and what do I do to cure this problem.

What do I do with chloride diarrhoea?
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later
Hi ,
It is OK.
You can go in the morning and take the appointment with your neonatologist or pediatrician whatever is the protocol there.

You can not do anything by your self for the above problems !

Electrolyte disturbances are checked by a blood test.
Chloride diarrhoea is the same by blood test.
If the abdomen is hard to touch an ultrasound examination or X-ray is needed.
If your pedia appointment is delayed please go to ER in the morning.
God bless
Dr UR