Infant having fever, diarrhoea, cold and itchy eyes. What treatment and cure should be done?

Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Child Health
Question: My 23 month old son had high fevers, nothing accompanying that, yet once fevers resolved he had diarrhea for about 3 days. Appetite & wet diapers have been good. Following that it seems he has gotten a cold. It's been a challenge to keep his fingers out of his nose, and although he denies his eyes bothering him, now they're gunky as well. It seems to be in both eyes, although I did note it in Right first. His sclera isn't pink, and he denies his eyes itching; but at his age would he know what itching is? I've been using a warm wash cloth to clean his eyes & gave him some lubricating eye drops. We flew from MN to AZ yesterday & tomorrow is thanksgiving, and we don't fly home til the 30th. Though I have no idea where, should I try to bring him in somewhere today? He started coughing last night & a little now. His one grandmother has just been diagnosed with bronchitis, the other MAC (mycobacterium avium complex)does he pose a threat to their health? he doesn't have a fever, diarrhea has subsided, but his stools aren't formed, and his cough is only occasional. He traveled with my husband all day yesterday; so my snapshot is just the night. He seemed only tired @5pm; nonap. Then came alive. So his activity isn't out of character either. Is runny eyes similar to runny nose? I've never seen it (my daughter is 3) So far my daughter has none of the above; tho she did have diarrhea Saturday as well & occasionally complains of her tummy hurting since. s.O.s. I don't know what to do. What would you do for your family if in my situation?
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 10 hours later
Hi
Welcome to HCM!

Your son mostly has a typical viral episode with fever,loose motions,cough, and conjunctivitis.
Here the essential part is to keep him well hydrated in view of loose stools. Give him some oral electrolytes like pedialyte and water.
As you have mentioned check whether he is passing adequate urine. Being active and playful are good signs.

For the eyes if he has sticky discharge it suggests infection especially if it is pale yellow in colour.

If it is watery discharge, it can be due to allergy .

Even if he can not mention itching, he will be scratching or touching the eyes due to irritation!

I suggest you have a consult for him to be sure that his eye infection will not spread to others also.

Old people are always prone to acquire infections like newborn babies!
In this situation, the best that you can do is to avoid very close contact with them and general hygiene and good hand washing
( especially after wiping his eyes or changing diapers,etc)

Have a nice holiday!
God bless
Dr Uma