Infant having fever. Suggest medicine for cure and diet plan for weight gain

Dr. Kaushik K Murthy

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in Child Health
Question: my kid is 1year 10 days old . he is having fever from yesterday. today temp 98.7 morning now it is 99.6 evening. 1 dose of crocin given morning at 10 & another dose evening 6. can i give him cerlac for dinner.his birth weight 3.5kg. At present his weight is 7.6kg( Under weight).. but he eats well.. his eating schedule: 7.30am - milk 120ml, 9.30 am - breakfast ( Idly / pongal / sooji), 1.30pm - Curd rice/dal rice, 4pm - ceralac/ mashed XXXXXXX / mashed carrot, 7.30pm - 100ml milk, 9.45pm - health mix/cerlac. should i change his food habit. please help me to increase his weight gain..
Answered by Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 51 minutes later
Good evening,

Regarding fever, crocin syrup is enough once in 6 hours, but most important of all is to wipe him with warm water every 5 hours once to reduce the fever and to prevent seizures due to high fever.

Regarding his weight, yes it is underweight.
The dietary chart you are following is alright, but I have noticed you are not including XXXXXXX leafy vegetables or potato or beans in his diet, nor are included ghee or butter. So slowly start including them.

One more thing is that you can mix health mixture like pediasure or kids pro in his milk.

Do not dilute the milk, give him whole milk, if allergic to cow’s milk, you can try lactogen milk.

Try natural multigrain mixture prepared in home rather than going for packed ready-made food like cerelac.

Don’t give milk very often, reduce the frequency to 2 to 3 times a day, and avoid in-between meals like chocolate and biscuits.

Give the food in small quantities but more frequently.

Slowly increase the quantity of solid foods and reduce the frequency of mother’s milk, but continue to feed mother’s milk till the child is 2yrs of age.

Weight gain is not over night process, it takes time, requires patience and adherence to the above said suggestions.

Will be glad for your follow up.
Thank you, regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 14 hours later
Thanks for your reply.. pls let me know quantity of food to be taken by my kid.. Forgot to inform, i add ghee 1-2 tsp to his dal rice.. Can i include ghee & butter for breakfast,lunch & dinner..
At times i give Amul table butter whole cube.. He likes butter a lot..Is it good to include butter daily one cube..
Can i give him corn falkes,oats for breakfast..
Sorry to ask so many quest? i am total confused about his intake.. pls help me..
Answered by Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 6 hours later
Good evening, thanks for writing to us.
We are here to answer your simplest of the simple queries.

Do not include ghee or butter for all the three times. Two times is sufficient.
Avoid shop butter cube, it will have added salt in it.

Oats and corn flakes for breakfast for an underweight child are not recommended.
Authentic Indian breakfast is all that is required.

Regarding the quantity, divide the food in small quantities but increase the frequency, in this way the child can tolerate a slightly increased quantity, do not overfeed the child.

I would recommend you to get a hemoglobin level to be done for your child.

Consult your pediatrician for the same, and ask about supplemental calcium and vitamin D3 for your child.

Thank you, regards.