Infant having fever. Not cured by crocin drops, taxim-o drops and nutrolin-b syrup. Alternate medicine?

Dr. Hema Yadav

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases

Posted on Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Child Health
Question: My 8 month baby(boy) is having fever from last 4 days and we are giving crocin drops. From last 2 days fever is not coming down(always 101 or 102). Yesterday we XXXXXXX with Pediatrician and they have suggested to give crocin drops, taxim-o drops and nutrolin-b syrup but still fever is not coming down. Can you suggest any medicine which will help to reduce the temperature.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
It does seem that your baby is suffering from an infection causing high grade fever .
The treatment started seems appropriate however please mention your baby's weight or make sure you are giving the adequate dosage of crocin drops to control the fever.
Crocin drops contain paracetamol 100 mg/ ml and are recommended to be given as 10 mg/ kg/ dose ie in a 9 kg baby 0.9 ml crocin drops should be given every 6 hourly.
If the dosage you are giving is appropriate still the temperature remains more than 101 then there is need of a stronger antipyretic like mefanamic acid or ibuprofen which can be given as 8 mg/ kg / dose ( approx 4 ml of suspension containing strength 100 mg/ 5 ml) every 6 hourly .
Additionally you should make sure that your baby receives plenty of fluids ( milk , water , juice etc) to get faster relief from fever.
If the fever persists or worsens ( > 102 F) despite these measures then you need to provide external cooling measures like sponging the body with a wet towel .
In such case it's best to consult your doctor promptly and get necessary investigations done to rule out a malarial or typhoid fever.
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly get back to me if you have any further doubts.