Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

Infant having down syndrome. What diet should be given to improve muscle tone?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1964
Answered : 246 Questions
My baby has 9 months old and she has down syndrome and she is very active and we have not seen any difference when compare to other babies. the only problem is she is having only ZEROLAC product not mothers feeding. she is having food that we prepared at home like rice ,Dal ,cooked XXXXXXX and carrot. her muscle tone is weak .i would like to know what other foods can give to her to improve muscle tone and what food need to avoid.
Posted Tue, 4 Dec 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 1 hour later
Thanks for sharing your concern with us.
Babies with Down syndrome will eat like normal babies. So your child should be eating what you are eating, although you may have to cook it a little bit more for her. . They are very good natured and appreciate love and care. I don't think any food will improve her muscle tone because it is part of the characteristics in Down syndrome to have hypotonia (decreased tone) in muscles.

If you have any other queries about Downs Syndrome , please do let me know.
Kindest regards
Dr. S.K.Mukherjee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor