Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Infant having dengue fever. Blood test done. What are the findings and cure to be taken?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Practicing since : 1970
Answered : 891 Questions
my 9 months old baby is having dengue fever. we took blood test. TOTAL WBC COUNT- 4,400 CELLS/CUMM, PLATELET COUNT - 1.50 LAKHS/CUMM, haemoglobin- 12.6 gr/dl, SERUM DENGUE NS1(EARLY ELISA)-59.52 IU/L, SERUM DENGUE IGM CAPTURE (ELISA) - 6.4 IU/L, SERUM DENGUE IGC (ELISA) - 0.9, C.R.P (IMMUNOTURBIDIMETRIC) - 1.4 mg/L. Please tell me about this and wat i have to do.
Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 49 minutes later
Welcome to HCM!

I saw the reports scanned by you.
Cbc- there is leukopenia- low white blood cells .
Neutropenia- low neutrophils. And increased lymphocytes
Just normal platelets
The above 4 are in favour of a viral infection.

Reg dengue tests ,Ns1 is positive though IgM and IgG are still negative.

For dengue there is no specific medicine nor for any viral infection like flu.

You have to carefully observe your child,treat the fever with paracetamol only ( do not use meftal,ibugesic,aspirin etc)
Look for vomiting,,any rash,pain in the eye,black stool,,any bleeding from nose or mouth.,irritability.

As such he may not be in need of admission normally but you have to watch 24*7.
The worry is the baby is very small less than 1 year, and hence better to admit in JIPMER.( I see that you are in Pondi from your IP address)
If you are a working mother,I suggest you take leave and watch the chid.
Dengue is a serious illness but majority do well without complications.
May God be with your child to let it pass without any problems!

You have to repeat CBC and may be dengue IGM again after 48 hrs( strange that IgM is negative!!

The fever will subside after 2-3 days and after a gap of 2-3 days may come again.

In summary I wish you ad it your baby in a well established hospital preferably a medical college hospital.

Good luck
God bless
Dr Uma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor