Infant have triangular shaped bruise on legs and head. What could be causing this?

Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Child Health
Question: My son is 16 months old. He often has brusing on his legs and head because he falls and bumps into things. I got concerned when I saw 3 dot bruises (brown in color) in the shape of a triangle on both front legs between the knee and foot. He is about 33" tall so furniture isn't at that low level to hit his legs between the knee and foot. The triangular shape is also concerning because it's a replica on both legs. What could this be from?
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 33 minutes later
Do you mean to say that they are symmetrical and triangular in shape with similar distribution?
If they have well defined margins also,it means they are some impressions of hurt. Either the child might have fallen down on both knees or got injured from a hot source like an engine?
Does he have pain there?
Hematomas are seen in some diseases but they are not so symmetrical .

Think of the circumstances like where he was playing, something in the crib, any pointed object, any hot object etc.
Also was the baby in day care?

Watch out and show the baby in ER (if they do not fade soon .)

Good luck
Dr Uma