Infant have to undergo hydrocele surgery. Will it be safe to mix baby food with formula in bottle?

Posted on Tue, 26 Feb 2013 in Growth and Development in Children
Question: hi, my name is XXXXXXX i have a question about baby food, my son' ped. told me to started baby food on my son since few weeks ago, he will be 5 months old this 17th, he is good with trying out different baby foods at this moment, he into carrot, then potato, but doesnt really like bean, and sometime he eat more, sometime less, he got enough formula, he took 5oz every 3hours, then another 3oz an hour later in order to fall asleep, so my question is, can i mix baby food with his formula in bottle? i did mixed carrot for him once, he seem really like it and finish the whole bottle, with formula alone, he will leave a lil bit in the bottle. my son has Hydrocele and having the surgery on the 22nd, i dont know will this XXXXXXX effect his condition or not, atm, he just normal, no pain or anything
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Welcome to XXXXXXX

I am happy that you have a baby who is a good feeder!
Usually the parents complain that their child is refusing food!
This is a blessing!!!!

Now coming to the semi solid food,it is called weaning food and the idea is to train the baby to swallow semisolid food and later solid food.
These are supposed to be given with a cup and spoon to feed the baby directly.

The ideal way is to feed like this.
He will spit the food in the beginning but later will learn to eat.

So you can add to the milk also ,but by 6 months ,start on cup and spoon.

Secondly,does your son have hernia and not hydrocoele?!!!
They do not operate on hydrocoele early and wait for it to regress.!
But hernia they will do surgery early.
However both are minor surgeries .Do not worry.

God bless
Dr Uma
Follow up: Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 5 hours later
thanks for information, i do feed him with spoon, he not spilling out anymore, it is just that sometime he didnt want to have baby food by spoon but bottle... and he has hydrocele, they said he is good enough to have the surgery, and because the fluid will keep coming that will increase the swollen looking part in size and that will give him pain, doctor said in his condition, he should have the surgery as soon as possible,
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 9 minutes later

Thanks for your mail.
Yes, you can use the bottle now and then - no problems.

Reg hydrocoele - OK if the doctors are particular to do surgery earlier.

I wish him speedy recovery and all the best.

God bless
Dr Uma
Follow up: Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 13 minutes later
thank you so much for all the information
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 5 minutes later
OK.
Dr Uma
Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology