Infant has repeated chest and throat problem. Should I be worried?

Dr. E Venkata Ramana

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 5 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Question: My eight month old grandson has been plagued with chest and throat complaints since he was born. The doctors have said thatthere is nothing to worry about. However this week hw was gagging on some pureed food and I noticed on two occassions a whit half circle in the of his throat almost like a half of a very smalll polo mint??
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 29 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

I can understand your concern regarding the repeated chest and throat complaints of your grandson.

Nothing to worry as the doctors has reassured after the examination of your grandson.

The white half circle of half of a very small polo mint shaped structure in throat is 'epiglottis' which is visible in kids while crying or gagging.

Epiglottis is a structure which is present on the top of larynx which protects the airway from the aspiration of food and saliva and regulates air passage.

So nothing to worry regarding it.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.