Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

Infant has fever, fussiness, and diarrhea. Should I contact the doctor?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
I have a 5 week 1 day old baby with a rectal temp of 99.4 with fussiness and diarrhea. Should I contact her Dr. for an appointment or is it nothing to worry about?
Posted Thu, 13 Sep 2012 in Parenting
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 31 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
A rectal temperature of 99.4 would be considered normal for the newborn .
Usually fussiness in newborns could be due to bloating or gaseous distension , if your baby is passing frequent loose stools ( diarrhoea ) it's definitely worth visiting her pediatrician for confirmation ( whether viral or bacterial gastroenteritis ) and appropriate management .
Most diarrhoeas in babies are self limiting and if adequate hydration is maintained then it should resolve on its own or with supportive therapy in 3-4 days .

If the diarrhoea is worsening or baby develops high fever, decreased urination , excessive crying or refusal to feed then you should consult her doctor immediately .
As of now you should most importantly keep her well hydrated with frequent breastfeeding ( on demand) and monitor her temperature and stool frequency .
At the same time you should get an appointment as soon as feasible to get a confirmation of the diagnosis & appropriate treatment like zinc and probiotic supplements if needed.
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor