Infant has blocked nose and cough. Prescribed sinoclear, Augmentin and mucolite. How to provide relief?

Dr. Venkata Subrahmanaym Mukkavilli

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 5 Dec 2013 in Child Health
Question: Dear doctors, My son is 1 month old weighing 4.07 kgs. He's had blocked nose and cough from past 3-4 days. He's completely on mother's feed. Now even vn he is hungry he' s not been able to gulp it down and he gets choked. Last nite alot of phlegm came out. Doc here has prescribed him Sinoclear nasal drops every 3 hrs Augmentin Duo 0.6 ml 2 times a day Mucolite 4 drops 2 times a day. Steam inhalation Even after taking all this his cough has not reduced. Kindly suggest what should be done.
Answered by Dr. Venkata Subrahmanaym Mukkavilli 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: Sucking the phlegm from mouth and throat. Detailed Answer: HI. Thank you for your query on XXXXXXX Your doctor has prescribed the right medicine. But some times the phlegm will not clear quickly and disturb the baby. In such situation you have to suck out the secretions repeatedly with a mucous sucker and relieve the baby from trouble. Keep the baby in warm atmosphere and do not expose him to cold climate. Avoid head bath. It is better to sponge the baby with warm water Hope this answer will serve your purpose. I shall be happy to answer any more queries promptly. Take care Dr.M.V.Subrahmanyam.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Venkata Subrahmanaym Mukkavilli 2 hours later
thank you for your reply. should phlegm be removed from nose or mouth? how much time it normally takes for the baby to get alright? we live in kashmir weather is very cold here, how often should we give him bath?
Answered by Dr. Venkata Subrahmanaym Mukkavilli 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: It takes about a week to become normal. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for asking follow up question on health care magic. The phlegm should be removed from nose as well as mouth. Normally it takes about a week to become alright. Keeping the baby in warm atmosphere is more important. It is better you give warm water sponging in place of bath till he is alright. Hope this answer will serve your purpose Please feel free to ask any more queries if required Take care Dr.M.V.Subrahmanyam MD;DCH Associate professor of pediatrics
Follow up: Dr. Venkata Subrahmanaym Mukkavilli 5 hours later
ok.. also he is suffering from jaundice since 5th day of his c/section birth. it went upto 13 n last week was 9.5. how long will it take to completely clear. (conjugated -0 unconjugated - 9.5 ) . his frequency of passing stools has also reduced from several times a day to once a day. (fecal occult blood -normal report )
Answered by Dr. Venkata Subrahmanaym Mukkavilli 7 hours later
Brief Answer: It takes maximum another week to come to normal. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for asking another follow up question on health care magic. This is physiological jaundice. It takes maximum about another week to come down to normal levels. Once there is a downward trend there is nothing to worry. Some times in the newborn period babies do not pass stools for 2-3 days or the freqenncy may be decreased. As long as there is no distension of abdomen,strining or not accepting feeds nothing to worry Hope this answer will serve your purpose Please feel free to ask any more queries if required Take care Dr.M.V.Subrahmanyam MD;DCH Associate professor of pediatrics
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad