Infant got puss cells in ear. What treatment should be taken?

Dr. Ravinder Sharma

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi, my son is now 11 months he was admitted in hospital for vezzing problem(First Time) & heavy caugh & cold a week ago and discharged on 3 days back. When he is in the hospital he got pus in his ear and the same has given for testing. Now the result has come it shows SMEAR SHOWS PUS CELLS (++), GRAM POSITIVE COCCI IN PAIRS (+). PLEASE tell what it means
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 52 minutes later
Hello
I am Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon
On the basis of the information provided it appears that that your son had acute infection involving upper and lower respiratory tract. At the upper end in pharynx a tube connects throat with ear. This can be a site of spread of infection in ear. It is fairly common in children to have infection of ear through this route. This has led to pus formation in ear and there was discharge and a perforation in the ear drum.
The medicines that he is on will take care of this infection too. Almost in all cases the perforation in ear drum heals with time (2 to 3 months). However one has to be careful that if there is recurrent infection he may require complete course of antibiotics and avoid entry of oil or water in the ear canal.

I would further advise you to consult a ENT surgeon so that a appropriate antibiotic ear drop may be started

I hope this answers your query. Feel free to contact me if you require more information about it

with regards
Ravinder Sharma

Follow up: Dr. Ravinder Sharma 10 minutes later
Dear Doctor,

Thanks for your reply and the result shows one more AEROBIC CULTURE SHOWS HEAVY GROWTH OF STREPTOCOCCUS SPECIES.

ANTIBIOGRAM OF PENCILLIN, VANCOMYCIN, CHLORAMPHENICOL, CO TRIMOXAZOLE, CEFTRIAXONE, LINEZOLID, CLINDAMYCIN, LEVOFLOXACIN & TETRUCYCLIN ARE SENSITIVE & ERYTHROMYCIN ARE RESISTANT

PLS CLARIFY THIS ALSO.
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 2 hours later
Thanks for the follow up query
The medicine which you are using (AUGMENTIN - Amoxicillin plus clavulunate) belongs to the penicillin group and the antibiogram shows that the causative organism (streptococcus species) is senstitive to this medicine. Thus this proves that you are using right medicine and there is no issue of resistance with this antibiotic. In case the report was suggested that streptococcus is resistant to penicillin there was a need to change antibiotic. I hope this is clear

I hope this answers your query. Feel free to contact me if you need more information about it

with regards
Ravinder Sharma