Infant getting frequent vomit and loose motion. How to control this?

Dr. E Venkata Ramana

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 31 Jan 2013 in Child Health
Question: Hi my 6 month baby getting vomit and loose motion 7 to 8 time per day. i am giving Brest feeding and rise power. she also crying at night time. i am not getting idea how to control this. please give me your ideas. also please advice me what are the food i can give at stage by stage.
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 43 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

Your child seems to be suffering with gastroenteritis. Viral infection is usually the cause. In some case bacteria could be the cause. The intestinal colic associated with gastroenteritis may cause abdominal pain and excessive crying at night.

The following measures can be helpful in such conditions:
1. Continue breastfeeding frequently. And you can give sips of oral rehydrating solutions like Pedialyte after each vomiting and loose stool to prevent dehydration.
2. Home available oral rehydrating solutions like lemon water, coconut water, dal water with salt can be given to maintain hydration.
3. Watch for signs of dehydration like decreased urine output, decreased activity, dryness of tongue & oral cavity, decreased skin turgor or elasticity, etc.
4. Domstal drops available over the counter at some places can be used to stop vomiting. I suggest you to consult a nearby pediatrician if the drop is not available over the counter. He/she can also prescribe the right doses needed for her.
5. It is advisable to consult the pediatrician if loose motions and vomiting continue or signs of dehydration develop; as probiotic and antibiotic may be required to control the infection in some cases of gastroenteritis.

Regarding diet advice for your child, you can now continue the rice powder, boiled and mashed potato, mashed rice with pulses, mashed tubers and vegetables, soups, mashed fruits, biscuits, etc., from 6 to 9 months of age.
From 9 to 12 months soft food that can be chewed without hot spices, soft chapathi, etc., can be tried.
After 1 year, family pot feeding cooked for family and which is soft can be given.
But while introducing new food, only one item should be introduce with small quantity and gradually increased. After some days another new food can be introduced with similar manner.

Hope I have answered your query; if you have any clarification please let me know.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad