Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online

Infant gets red spot after having egg. Is it due to allergy?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 338 Questions
Hi .. this is regarding my 5 month old daughter .. she used to take mother feed and Lactogen both .. post my wife started office about 20 days back .. she has completely stopped taking TOP feed, as a result we started Dal water, and Cerelac etc. .. also she takes her mothers feed during the night and when she is available ..

We also started egg yolk for her, and today we observed right after taking egg she turned little red and 10 mins later she had red spots on her face ..

Is it allergy, is it scary ?? Please advice ..
Posted Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 1 hour later
Thanks for writing to us.
Going through your query , its a sure indication that your child is allergic to egg protein. I advise you to stop egg for the next 3 to 4 months.
Watch for difficulty in breathing, increase in rashes, fever, loose stools as these are signs that its getting worse.
If your food habits include non vegetarian foods, then do not start it at this age, you can start it slowly after the age of 1 year.

Meanwhile if the rashes increase in intensity or you find any other unusual findings, then kindly consult your pediatrician.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Infant gets red spot after having egg. Is it due to allergy? 3 hours later
Thanks for the suggestion .. will ensure to take care ..

Just for update and your further opinion .. the spots were gone after couple of mins, and there weren't any rashes ..

Please suggest further ..
Answered by Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 12 hours later
Hi , thanks for the follow up.

My further suggestions will be to avoid egg until she is 1 year of age, then on you can slowly include the egg in her diet in small portions.

Meanwhile watch for fever, as this is the season for viral fever with rashes.

If fever sets in, kindly get a pediatrician to examine your child.

Thank you,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor