Owl Image

Infant gets red spot after having egg. Is it due to allergy?

Excellent

Pediatrician
Question
Hi .. this is regarding my 5 month old daughter .. she used to take mother feed and Lactogen both .. post my wife started office about 20 days back .. she has completely stopped taking TOP feed, as a result we started Dal water, and Cerelac etc. .. also she takes her mothers feed during the night and when she is available ..

We also started egg yolk for her, and today we observed right after taking egg she turned little red and 10 mins later she had red spots on her face ..

Is it allergy, is it scary ?? Please advice ..
Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX ,
Going through your query , its a sure indication that your child is allergic to egg protein. I advise you to stop egg for the next 3 to 4 months.
Watch for difficulty in breathing, increase in rashes, fever, loose stools as these are signs that its getting worse.
If your food habits include non vegetarian foods, then do not start it at this age, you can start it slowly after the age of 1 year.

Meanwhile if the rashes increase in intensity or you find any other unusual findings, then kindly consult your pediatrician.
Regards.

Follow-up: Infant gets red spot after having egg. Is it due to allergy? 3 hours later
Thanks for the suggestion .. will ensure to take care ..

Just for update and your further opinion .. the spots were gone after couple of mins, and there weren't any rashes ..

Please suggest further ..

Answered by Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 12 hours later
Hi , thanks for the follow up.

My further suggestions will be to avoid egg until she is 1 year of age, then on you can slowly include the egg in her diet in small portions.

Meanwhile watch for fever, as this is the season for viral fever with rashes.

If fever sets in, kindly get a pediatrician to examine your child.

Thank you,

regards.