Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Indent in lower calf muscle, swollen ankles, muscle twitch, sprain

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3635 Questions
I noticed an indent in my lower outer calf muscle tonight. I first thought it was just an impression from lying on the couch a funny way but three hours later I realize that it's just a large indent in my calf. what could this be from? My ankle is a bit swollen too but thought this was just because I got a sunburn on my feet when vacationing in puerto rico for past four days? This is making me very nervous
Wed, 16 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 48 minutes later

Thanks for your query,

The indentation in the calf you have is probably due to muscle twitch (A muscle twitch, is a small, local, involuntary muscle contraction and relaxation visible under the skin arising from the spontaneous discharge of a bundle of skeletal muscle fibers ).In some cases the twitch may take hours to relax or even need massage to release the same.Most of times it presents with pain in the muscle involved after recovering from a long twitch.

The twitch could be triggered through a weak nerve either by a sprain or by a inflammation as in you the ankle swelling due to the the sunburn.

There is no treatment needed for such problems if presented occasionally ( Multivitamin supplements may help ), but if they are frequent ( daily ) then you may have to consult a Neurologist to get examined and rule out Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis ( a neurological disease ) which could be the common cause needing treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Indent in lower calf muscle, swollen ankles, muscle twitch, sprain 2 hours later
i just woke up with terrible XXXXXXX horse in my leg and it's like in a spasm and very painful. i have been trying to walk it off but it's not working? what can i do so i can go back to bed!
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later
Hi again,

Thanks for following me up,

Try applying counterirritants like Capsciasin or methyl salysilate , it will help in faster recovery.

Well known brand names of the above would be Capsazin-P® and Zostrix®.apply with smooth massage.

Wish you speedy recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor