Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Incredible itching and dryness of scrotum, angs very low and loose. Could testosterone supplements help?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10367 Questions
Incredible on and off again itching and dryness of scrotum. And to top it off, svrotum hangs very low and loose. Symptoms of anything?
The itching has been around for a few years, the loose sack is within last 6 mos.
And even low sexual drive over last few years.

Could testosterone supplements help?
Posted Mon, 20 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
The on and off itching of scrotum is likely to be due to dermatitis or a recurrent fungal infection in the area. A direct examination is needed to find out the exact cause.
For symptomatic relief, you can apply aloe vera gel or 1% hydrocortisone ointment available over the counter.
If there are any rashes or urethral discharge associated with it, then it needs a specific treatment under the guidance of a urologist after a proper examination.
The loosening of the sacs could be related to lower testosterone levels in your body. A blood test will help in proper diagnosis. Do not start with any testosterone supplements without a blood test.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Incredible itching and dryness of scrotum, angs very low and loose. Could testosterone supplements help? 3 minutes later
The itching has remained the same.

I have tried 1% cortisone cream as well as various "jock itch" products to no avail.

Could be eczema or similar?

I had my testosterone levels checked 3-4 years ago and was fine.

What type of Dr should I be seeing to address all these issues?
Urologist, dermatologist, etc... ???
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
If over the counter treatments have not helped then stronger prescription medicines are needed after a direct examination. Eczema is a likely possibility. You can consult a dermatologist for itching. He can order serum testosterone levels for you.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor