Owl Image

Increased intensity of exercise. Started irregular and hard bowel movement. Any remedy?

Owl Image
Dr. Aparna Amritsagar

Question
Iam a healthy male, 51 years old, 180 lbs - 5' 10" tall. I do moderate physical exercises every day for around 30 minutes. From around a month after I increased the intensity of the exercises, mainly cardio vascular, my bowels have become irregular, also stools have hardened. No issues with frequency and nature of stools earlier. While my liquid intake has also increased due to increase sweating, the problem is not sorted out and sometimes can be quite painful. I had no previous history of piles or any gastro based ailments. It normalises after a few days once the intensity of the exercises are reduced. COuld a suggest e remedy considering that I want to keep up the cardio schedules.
Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Constipation

Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 2 hours later

Thanks for writing your query to us.

As per your height & weight your BMI is 25.8, which is slightly on higher side. Normal BMI is 18.5 – 24.9. So there is no need for you to do vigorous exercise. Daily exercise of 20 minutes should be adequate.

That being said, I don't think these exercise could be causing the constipation. Perhaps the diet you use during exercise may be associated. Therefore my suggestion is improve your eating habits; avoid junk food including maida / biscuits. Include more of fruits, salads, XXXXXXX leafy vegetables in diet; and include lot of high fiber breakfast such as oat / muesli and continue taking more fluids.

Be consistent in your efforts & follow this regime daily instead of doing only when you have constipation. With these minor dietary changes, you should be able to have normal bowel movement.

I hope I have answered your query. In case you have any further query I will be happy to help you.

Follow-up: Increased intensity of exercise. Started irregular and hard bowel movement. Any remedy? 2 hours later
Thanks for your reply. My food habits have not changed since I have increased the exercise regimen, hence the concern. I do consume normal helpings of salads and fruits, but will try to increase the quantities. Is there also a need to increase intake of liquids / water ??

Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 55 minutes later

Yes you need to increase the intake of the fruits & salad intake. Also eat fruits with the skin like for example XXXXXXX

Also you need to increase your fluid intake.

Normal water intake should be 3 liters per day. In case you are doing more exercise than increase water intake as per the amount of sweating. The color of your urine should be pale yellow or white. If urine is dark yellow color that indicates that you are dehydrated.

Also decrease the intake of tea, coffee. Caffeine has a tendency to be dehydrating and can thus highly increase the risk of constipation.

I hope I have answered your query. In case you have any further question I will be happy to help you.