Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
161 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Increase in height in 25 year old male

Answered by
Dr. Deepak Anvekar

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2003

Answered : 336 Questions

Posted on Wed, 16 May 2012 in General Health
Question: I am 25 Male, I like to increase my height by 5cm minimum. Is it possible?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 18 minutes later

Height increase after puberty is very difficult, It has been considered nothing more than a wishful thinking by the men and women of short stature.

Before puberty, the growth portions of the bone (called epiphyseal junction) contains the active cartilage that elongates at the centre and the edges get calcified. So as long as this cartilage is active the elongation of the bone is possible.

Usually, after the age of 23, this cartilage is completely calcified and the chances of natural increase in height is not possible.

But a surgical procedure, called ILIZAROV technique (TRANSOSSEOUS OSTEOSYNTHESIS) can be used to artificially split the 2 bone ends, and then aid the growth of the cartilage and then lengthen the bone over a period of weeks to months. The exact lengthening that can be achieved is about 20-30% of the actual bone length.

You can consult a orthopedic surgeon, who can advice you more regarding the procedure.

Hope I have answered your query.

If you have any more queries, I will be available to answer them as well.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures ,  
Medical Topics ,   ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Skeletal system

doctor1 MD

bent my thumb backward in an accident 4-days ago. Have mobility, can bend & flex with pain, still some swelling, tender to the touch at joint at...

doctor1 MD

hi I am a 30yr old female and diagnosed for lumbar spine L5 S1 slip disc problem with the spine slightly pushing further. Also I was been treated...

doctor1 MD

my 3 year old son has a constant bruise on the middle of the lower back. it is usually a yellowish color but today when i looked at it it has red...

doctor1 MD

I have a weirs aching pain on the top left side of my rib cage. More like wher my ribs meat each other in the middle. It feels like I was in a car...

doctor1 MD

for about a month I have been getting a heat sensation in my lower left butt/ glute its not painful just feels like I have a heating pad on my butt...

doctor1 MD

Hello, I just got home from work and did not feel like going to the gym so i decided to do workouts just here at home. I started doing some squats...

doctor1 MD

Twitching in mostly right pointer finger for few weeks. Sometimes arm. When go to bed feels like hand semi asleep. Top of right collarbone has had...