In the past year I had one chest xray, both
Excessive exposure in only one year is not risky.
Thanks for the query I understand your concern.
Radiation for CT scan of head you had was 2mSv.
Radiation due to X-ray spine 1.5 mSv, that due to X-ray of hips would be less than 1mSv ,X ray of chest gives exposure. of 0.1 mSv. making to total of 4.6 mSv exposure due to the investigations you have.
Legally 50 mSv radiation for life is allowed..&1 mSv in a year is said to be safe.BUT this becomes risky if the increased radiation persists for 5 years at a stretch.
So stay relaxed... as mostly you would not need excess exposure to radiation in next 4 years.
I hope that answers your query.Any follow up query is welcome.
The figure are risk free.
Thanks for the follow up query .
safe level of radiation exposure is difficult to set... So 1 mSv as safe level means it is the radiation exposed to ..in one year, which may. not cause radiation. sickness ...
The symptoms of radiation sickness can show when the exposed radiation is more than 50 mSv(as large as 500mSv) in a year/or sudden exposure due to radiation therapy or nuclear explosion.
* In this light 4.6 mSv yearly for consequtive five years could be within normal safe limits
* Apart from the figures...appearance of symptoms of radiation disease becomes an Indication to assess actual radiation received by your body.This can be done by tests advised by your physician ... followed by needful treatment .
** So if no symptoms like weakness,digestive symptoms or less blood counts... you should be tension free .Have regular physical check up with needful investigations to confirm your general health yearly . &take treatment advised for your basic problem.Adopt a healthy life style
I hope that helps.Any follow up query is welcome.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Feeling chill and shaking. Is this a sign of an illness?
- Have high BP, cholesterol and low thyroid. Feel heart rate increases at...
- Having intense burning and noticed swelling in clitoris and labias after...
- Had open surgery for advanced sigmoid colectomy. Watery stools with pain...
- Have severe facial flushing and rosacea. Going through menopause. What...
- Type-2 diabetic, constipated, having abdominal pain after bowel...
- What causes headaches?
- Suggest treatment for recurrent diarrhea
- Suggest treatment for foot infection
- What causes severe hair loss?