In IBS does the stool look like peanut butter and later like mustard?
Can appear like that but vary with food intake
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.
Based on the history you have shared, though IBS can impart lose consistancy to the stool, however the color may varry depending on multiple factors including type of food intake, and fat content of stool, and infectivity or bacterial content of intestines.
Usually normal color loose stool can be present in IBS which is diarrhea predominant and smells usual as stool due to pigments due to bile degradation. If high protein intake the color may get more intense or mustard. If low protien intake or any problem with bile secretions from liver arise it can get more faded or lighter in color.
Also with pancreatic insufficiency, it can be lose in consistentancy with more bulky or in your terms peanut butter type consistancy can be present and usually tend to float on water during flushing and hard to flush. Fat intake can be limited with use of adsorbents like ispaghola husk in such cases and stool analysis can be ordered meanwhile.
Other parameters of malabsorption of essential vitamins should be evaluated like of vitamin A, D, E and K and replacement can be given for D3 and E to start with even without getting the levels with prolonged diarrhea.
Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Regards
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for UTI post urinary catheterization?
- Suggest treatment for cough during consumption while treating bulbar palsy
- What causes burning feeling in underarm with painful tiny bumps?
- Suggest treatment for pain in shoulders, upper arm and back
- What causes irregular heart beat on exertion in a person post cardiac...
- Suggest treatment for bleeding from gums
- Suggest treatment for the pain associated with post-herpetic neuralgia
- What does persistent nasal bleeding indicate?
- What causes Raynaud's phenomenon?
- What causes chronic heaviness under left rib cage and shortness of breath?