In 2010 I had my whole thyroid removed ( hurthle

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Thu, 20 Dec 2018 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: In 2010 I had my whole thyroid removed ( hurthle cell). My last ultra sound said there are 2 small morphology lymph nodes with no fatty hilum. Everyone tells me not to worry. I find that to be impossible. I am 70 years old if that matters. I can't help but think there is reason for concern. The plan now is to wait 6 months and repeat the ultra sound. what do you think of that.

Keith Copeland YYYY@YYYY
Follow up: Dr. Mirjeta Guni 0 minute later
In 2010 I had my whole thyroid removed ( hurthle cell). My last ultra sound said there are 2 small morphology lymph nodes with no fatty hilum. Everyone tells me not to worry. I find that to be impossible. I am 70 years old if that matters. I can't help but think there is reason for concern. The plan now is to wait 6 months and repeat the ultra sound. what do you think of that.

Keith Copeland YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About neck lymphnodes:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I have gone carefully through your concern.
To judge about the lymphondoes, rather they are methastatic or not, ultrasound is very sensitive.
If the nodules are infracentimetric ( under 1 cm) even if they do not have reactive characteristics, usually follow up is recommended.
Thyroglobulin ( tumor marker of the papillary thyroid cancer), can also help in this case. If it is under 0.1, the chances for recurrence are very low.
So, your physician that decided follow up, should have taken into consideration some parameters.
Hope the information will help.
Best wishes,
Dr.mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
About neck lymphnodes:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
Hope the information will help.
Best wishes,
Dr.mirjeta
Follow up: Dr. Mirjeta Guni 12 hours later
I wanted to tell you the size of these two lymph nodes. They are
1.0 X 0.4 X 0.6 and 0.4 X 0.5 0.6 . Do you think It would out of line to ask that they go ahead with a CT or PET scan or to remove the lymph nodes rather than to wait 6 months?
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
About lymphnodes;

Detailed Answer:
H iagain,
I would not suggest further examinations for the moment but a second ultrasound after 3 months. if you are worried and do not want to weight 3 months, an FNA with thyroglobulin wash out of the lymphnodes is recommended. It gives a more specific information about the nature if the lymphnodes.
Best wishes,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Brief Answer:
About lymphnodes;

Detailed Answer:
H iagain,
Best wishes,
Dr.Mirjeta