Immunoelectrophoresis lab results, found band of free kappa light chain in urine. Advise?

Dr. Avinash Ignatius

Nephrologist

Posted on Fri, 15 Jun 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Question: yes i need some info on some lab results
i had an immunoelectrophoresis done got back some results that i am afraid are bad news

they found band of free kappa light chain in my urine can you help me

Answered by Dr. Avinash Ignatius 19 hours later
Hello.

Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR) is known to be associated with abnormal levels of immunoglobulin light chains in the urine.

You also have Diabetes, CKD (Chronic kidney disease) and CHF (Chronic heart failure). The relevance of the test result has to be seen in the light of the duration of each of your other conditions especially the onset and duration of CKD and timeline of the creatinine level.

If you were asked to get a protein electrophoresis of Urine for any specific reason please let me know.

Hope, this helps to answer your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Jyoti Patil
Follow up: Dr. Avinash Ignatius 40 minutes later
the doctor was just concerned because i had run low grade temps with the PMR that were higher than he felt was normal. they got up into the 100's once 100.8 but mostly mid to high 99's with occasional 100+ 100.2 would be about the normal when it did get over 100......so he just wanted to be sure that something else was not going on
Follow up: Dr. Avinash Ignatius 1 hour later
also i have been a diabetic for 30 years. i have had the ckd for many years gfr is around 33-36 range........creatitine runs around 1.8 to 2.1 depending on how hydrated i am when i do the labs............it has been consistant at this level for the last three years.............the chf has become relavant only lately, ef is ok around 48-55 depending on the echo at the time. but i have some wall thickening that the doctor says causes the heart not to pump effeniently just to bring you up to speed thanks for your input sir
Follow up: Dr. Avinash Ignatius 10 hours later
sorry to keep adding but i am really concerned. i have read that this band of free kappa light chain is also known as bence XXXXXXX protein which says it is the marker for multiple myeloma which from what i have read is terminal if you have any good news let me know or if i have bad info please advise thanks again for your patience
Answered by Dr. Avinash Ignatius 8 hours later
Hello.

Thanks for writing back.

Multiple Myeloma(MM) is only one of the causes for elevation of light chains (which can be either kappa or lambda). Alone elevated kappa light chains are insufficient to tell if it is Myeloma and it is just not relevant to talk about MM now.

Other than Multiple Myeloma, there are many conditions associated with light chains being elevated - one of them is PMR (Polymyalgia Rheumatica). These light chains cause diseases when they get deposited in various organs.

It may be that for many years your Kappa light chains have been raised and only incidentally detected now.

Your kidney disease and heart condition could be explained by Diabetes itself. The only way to know whether these are getting deposited in any organ and causing harm, is by a biopsy. A biopsy from the heart is feasible but technically relatively difficult, however a kidney biopsy is a simple procedure, and could give you an answer.

Hope, this explains your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health.

Regards.