I'm worried about by partner. On Saturday he suddenly developed
Can be strained intercostal muscle.
Thanks for posting your query.
This visible lump on the lower left side of ribs can be due to pulled intercostal muscles which has resulted in a hematoma (collection of blood after injury) formation causing this lump or it can be a due to a cracked rib. One can crack a rib at any age from sneezing or a strong bout of coughing. Hence most likely this pain and lump formation can be due to pulled and strained intercostal muscles.
He can continue with rest and mild pain killers. Get an X-ray done as advised by your physician. This is likely to improve in 5-7 days.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Is the position of the lump relevant? To be clear, it appears very close to the rib, just under, as if connected.
Can be related to a cracked rib.
Thanks for writing again.
The swelling on the rib can be related to a cracked rib. But the collected blood can get displaced also due to gravity. The injury is most likely at the most tender point.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Can spinal stenosis cause joints pain and swollen ankle, thighs and knees?
- Having lower back pain with tickling and pulsating sensation. What could...
- MRI of knee showed occult displaced fracture. What is it and what is the...
- What is the cause and treatment for painful knee with walking difficulty?
- Having ump into superclavical. What could the long tube feeling be?
- MRI findings show posterior disc bulges at L5-S1 and L4-5 levels....
- MRI scan shows Lumbar spondylosis. Suggest
- What causes pain in left groin and lower back and how can it be treated?
- Had MRI scan of right ankle and prescribed with zyloric for reduction of...
- What would be the cause of sudden neck pain on one side?