Ileostomy done. Getting pain and shedding from the rectal stump. Should I be worried?

Dr. Enrique Molina

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I didn't reconnect after my illeostomy 4 1/2 years ago. For 4 years the stub of my colon would shed it's lining each month or 6 weeks. There was always a dull ache in my left side for a few days before it actually shedded. NOW, the shedding has stopped but the dull pain remains, but not constant.

My question is: Will the stub dry up eventually or should I investigate a possible problem with it because it has stopped shedding?
I forgot to report that a hernia repair was necessary at the time of my illeostomy surgery. No net was implanted.
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 47 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX
Your symptoms of shedding from the rectal stump is what is called diversion colitis, which is fairly common after getting an ileostomy. Treatment is usually not necessary and it actually can resolve on its own after a few months or years, as it appears to have happened in your case.
I would not be concerned at this time, just keep your regular doctors appointments. If you actually develop bleeding you do need to see a gastroenterologist for further evaluation.
Hope that helps, let me know if you have further questions