Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

If you contract an STI from engaging in oral sex, will a usual blood and urine test reveal it?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 436 Questions
if you contract an sti from engaging in oral sex, will a usual blood and urine sti test reveal it?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Radhika 53 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.

Yes, if you have contracted any sexually transmitted infection following oral sex it can be detected through a blood or urine test.

Normally for detecting chlamydia and gonorrhoea, screening is done through a urine test.
For syphilis, it is again by taking either a blood sample or a swab from any sores you might have.

For detecting HIV, herpes and hepatitis a blood test is required. To detect HPV (Human Papilloma virus), a swab is taken orally and test is done.

It is better not to engage in unprotected sexual intercourse till the tests have been done.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor