If a patient has a stage 3 diabetic ulcer on

Dr. Aaron Branch

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2019 in Diabetes
Question: If a patient has a stage 3 diabetic ulcer on their heel that became infected and they continue to work 11 hour days on their feet could hemorrhaging occur. An offloading device is used but not as much as it should.
Answered by Dr. Aaron Branch 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ulcer may worsen but hemorrhage is unlikely

Detailed Answer:
Hello, I'm Dr. Branch, thanks for using Ask a Doctor.

I have managed many diabetic foot ulcers and infections, but have never seen or heard of hemorrhage occurring because of them. However, if the patient continues to walk on that foot, the ulcer is not likely to heal and the infection may continue to worsen, increasing the risk that an amputation will be needed.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you had any other specific concerns about hemorrhaging or any other questions and I would be glad to discuss it further with you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj