question-icon

If a condom breaks and you stop sex immediately why

Posted on Sat, 9 Mar 2019
Question: If a condom breaks and you stop sex immediately why is the risk of contracting a STD? Both parties involved both claim to be healthy.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. (52 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Regarding a condom break

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to 'Ask A Doctor' service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

A broken condom is accounted to unprotected sex because most of the time one is never really sure when it happened during sex. Of course, if you are certain that you stopped as soon as the condom broke and there was no direct contact with genital mucosa or genital secretions then there is no risk!!

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if you need any more assistance.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. (18 minutes later)
Thanks for your reply. Would you suggest it necessary to take a post exposure cycle to be safe or is it truly that unlikely. The male was no where near ejacualtion and the d’email was very dry and also not ejaculating.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. (9 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Regarding a broken condom

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

I usually suggest Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) for 28 days in all cases of a broken condom.

take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist