Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

148 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

If I were to get infected with HIV or Hepatitis

Answered by
Dr. Olgeta Xhufka

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2011

Answered : 4801 Questions

Posted on Tue, 18 Dec 2018 in HIV and AIDS
Question: If I were to get infected with HIV or Hepatitis C through blood contact with an open sore, would there be an immediate reaction and inflammation at the site of infection?

I shared a smoke with someone who I suspect might have one of these diseases, and an open sore in my mouth (which I hadn't even noticed was there) became immediately inflamed and opened up more and started hurting. Could this be a sign that I was infected with a virus?
Answered by Dr. Olgeta Xhufka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
PEP treatment is done in case of accidental exposure to HIV

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
Welcome to Ask A Doctor service.
I read your query and here is my advice...

First of all, I don't think there would be an immediate inflammatory reaction to the open sore in the mouth if it was infected by HIV or hep-C. The viral infection needs some days to reproduce and cause inflammation.

The chance that you take HIV or hep-C from saliva, mucosal contact or open sore is very low or zero.

Anyway if you accidentally get infected by HIV you should go to ER within 36 hours and start the PEP treatment.

It consists of three anti-HIV drugs that need to be taken for four weeks.
You should get tested after four weeks.

Hope I have answered the question.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on