If I am taking 300mg of Lamotragine, by how many

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 25 Feb 2019 in Mental Health
Question: If I am taking 300mg of Lamotragine, by how many milligrams should I initially reduce to in order to ween off the medication?
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 0 minute later
If I am taking 300mg of Lamotragine, by how many milligrams should I initially reduce to in order to ween off the medication?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

Generally 20-25% of lamotrigine can be reduced every week provided there are no withdrawal symptoms (very rare to have withdrawal effects). Considering the fact that you are currently on 300 mg of lamotrigine per day 75 miligram of morning dose can be reduced as initial step to wean off from lamotrigine under the supervision of your doctor.

Although it was not the part of question but I must inform you that whatever decision is taken on your part, inform to your doctor as it is risky thing to wean off from lamotrigine for someone who is diagnosed with bipolar disorder.

I hope this helps you.
Feel free to write back to me if you haver more questions.
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I hope this helps you.
Thanks and regards.