I'e been getting moderate to high acute pain in my

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Tue, 26 Mar 2019 in General Health
Question: I'e been getting moderate to high acute pain in my left hand, knucles, fingers ..daily for over a month, with no explanation. No physical incident , trauma, ..etc. Most painful during the night, or early morning. Becomes very painful when trying to close my hand , or make a fist. I try initial painful hand & finger exercises each morning, which eventually provides some relief. No apparent swelling discoloration.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
different possible causes

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Joint pain can be due to a number of different causes- it can be due to inflammation, breakdown/degeneration of cartilage, infection, deposits of crystals (eg gout), trauma

Arthritis is irritation of the joint , it can be due to inflammation or due to change in the structure of the joint.
In some persons the joint is not irritated but just painful (this is called arthralgia). In arthralgia the involved joints may also be tender to the touch.

Some inflammatory types of arthritis are rheumatoid, lupus, psoriasis arthritis, reactive arthritis

Some non inflammatory are: osteoarthritis, amyloidosis

There are others of both types

With the inflammatory type of arthritis- pain can be present both with movement and at rest, worse when now starting to use the affected area than towards the end. There may also be stiffness after a long period of inactivity , this stiffness can last 30 to 60 mins

With non inflammatory types of arthritis- pain is mainly or only during movement and improves with rest and the stiffness after activity lasts about 15 mins

To find the exact cause for you, you would need blood tests and imaging of the affected areas.
Blood tests such as complete blood count, ESR (checks for inflammation), autoimmune screen (rheumatoid, lupus etc) and imaging - may be needed

There are medications that may be able to help eg pain meds such as ibuprofen, naproxen, celebrex etc

If these are not effective then other pain medications can be used

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions