IS the use of chaparral herb advisable for cancer treatment?
Dr. XXXX, PhD, PhD, HSP
Wake Integrative Behavioral Medicine,
WIBM.co (not com).
Input regarding the herbs in question
Thanks for contacting with your concern and following are the suggested (in brief) suggestions to your query:
1. People take it ( Chaperral)because it contains a strong antioxidant and anti-cancer agent which acts as a powerful anti neoplastic herb.
2. Since in animal studies the herb has shown potent toxic effect on cancer cells but in human trials the effectiveness of the herb remains to be proven, which requires further clinical trials.
3. As it is a traditional medicine and also lacking clinical trial to support use of it thus is removed by FDA from it list due to evidence of being hepato toxic.
PS. As your patient has refused for radiation therapy thus do let him know about the side effects of the said herb, ( check regularly with Liver Function Tests) and only then proceed.
4. Artemisin is/was used in Traditional System of Medicine for the treatment of malaria but research/clinical trials conducted have shown that slower cancers, such as nonaggressive prostate cancers, do not respond as well, but was more effective on colon cancer and leukemia.
5. You should discuss all pros and cons with your patient and let him decide for further managment.
Dr. Munish Sood
Comsultant & Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Is adriamycin used in the treatment of cancer, rhabdomyosarcoma ?
- Is eligard used in the treatment of prostate cancer?
- Cancer treatment for liver cancer
- Is xeloda used in the treatment of cancer, prostate ?
- Cancer treatment breast cancer
- Is efudex used in the treatment of cancer, skin ?
- What is the use of zitega in cancer treatment
- Is sutent used in the treatment of cancer, hypernephroma ?
- Treatment and cure for useful cancer
- Cancer treatment using ayurveda